Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tuesday, July 14

Well folks, it has definitely been a crazy couple weeks. The first week we went to Western we worked with the Massai. It was an amazing experience. Played soccer with all the kids out in the middle of random dry land. Did some rock climbing on these huge boulders. Saw some baboons which made crazy noises at us and watched a freakishly large amount of disney movies haha. We also cut grass one day with machetes (?) and then loaded it up to take to the Massai peeople. The week after that we went out to Western Kenya. It was an 8 hour drive on a huge bus up and down moutnains. When we got there we went to Rehema childrens' orphanage that Brackenhurst ministries works with. These kids are schooled there throughout the day and then have girls and boys dormatories. There were a couple hundred children there. Our whole team was split into pairs to go live with a pastor and his family for a week. Kali and I were with Pastor Agree. His wife Rosalee, and his 5 children: mary, naomi, david, abraham and dang it I cant remember the other little boy. But anyway…so sweet. Every morning we would get picked up by our van and go with 2 other teams to churches and plant trees. Every morning they were supposed to pick us up at 9:00. One day they got there at 9:40. But that was the closest. And one day they completely forgot about us and we didn't get picked up until 11:15. And to add to the craziness we ALWAYS stopped at random markets to pick up chickens or fruit or whatever. Sometimes even people. All of the Kenyans would just get out of the van and disappear for about 15 minutes with no mention or reason to the stop haha. it was insane. Kenyans have a completely different sense of time. There is a saying here "TIA" or "This is Africa" haha. Basically meaning that crazy things happen and what can you expect haha. Anyway, every morning we would get up and have quiet time to ourselves and then our family would feed us chipote (the greatest bread ever) and chia tea...mmmm so good. The last morning we were there Rosalee taught me how to make chipote... i'll be calling for some taste testers when I get home ha. Kali and I shared a twin bed while we were there.. it was the pastor and his wife's bed. All the children slept in the open living area on wooden couches and the pastor slept in the only other room. They were such examples of Christ driven lives. Their hospitality and general love for us even though they had just met us. They were always asking if there was anything we needed or if they would help us with anything. True servant hearts when the whole time I was like "I should be the one serving you" ... just a total mind explosion. At church on Sunday Kali and I and 3 other groups went to a church about an hour away. We were each asked to share the Word and they have one preacher. I believe 3.5 hours later we left to eat lunch. Offering was amazing…someone put an egg in the basket and they auctioned that off for about 30 minutes haha. Moms were breast feeding their kids in the front row and wasps were flying all over the place. Praise the Lord. The 3rd week we left Western and went to Uganda (got my passport stamped woot woot) which was about 2 hours away. Went to a place where we camped out for 3 nights and rafted the Nile one day. The Nile is obviously so massive! Class 1-5 rapids and some 6 that we had to walk around. It was such a beautiful example of God. How we should be terrified of God because he IS GOD. That crazy hull in the river that pulls you under and scares the bajeebeez out of you. But then God is companied with mercy and grace and that is the part that washes you out because he does protect and provide. Beautiful creation. I was in a boat with Kyle and 4 other boys and our guide, Charles. At the beginning Charles asked if we wanted to be hardcore and I was the only one shaking my head side to side ahha. He said he would grab me WHEN I flew out ... oh great ! hahha. So there were about 13-15 rapids that we went through. and there were 5 class 5 rapids. Out of the 5 We made it thorugh 2 without flying out. The very last rapid (class 5 ) I didn't do. But we made it thorugh Silverback which was the hardest one. The 2 times I got thrown out were so insane! The second time I was under for about 7 seconds and you can't fight to try to swim up because the water just pushes you down so you have to get in a ball and wait... just wait... I popped up and Kyle was there and pulled my life jacket and told me to stop freaking out and breath ahha. my knight in floatation armor ahha. Overall it was amazing. Last week we returned to camp where I had a group of 14 year olds (Meru's). 4 of them and they were so fisty. So frustrating too. Because I knew they could do things like make it to the top of the rock when we went rock climbing or stand at the top of the Pole (aka Pole of death ahahh) but then they would be right there and say 'i can't" ... and then the other girls would see them sit on the pole and just roll off and so they would all do that too. They didn't listen and were always apathetic…it was just a rough week last week. I just pray that they heard something last week that worked in their hearts. On Friday night though, 3 out of my 4 girls attempted Lion's pride and they all 3 got their fires lit. They went out about midnight but for 2 hours they had strong fires and that was SO encourgaing. One of the girls told me she was about to give up and then her flame caught. Man, it was so good to hear that and see them at least try. This week I have Satima (11-13 yrs. )..Kimi and I have 7 girls. We'll see what this week brings. I taught dance this morning hahahahah... yeah get your laughing out now…and volleyball which was intersteing. I miss all of you. And I can't beleive it's already the beginning of week 8. Thank you for your continued prayers! Prayer requests: 1. strength for the counselors, wisdom as far as discipline, or evangelism 2. campers... softened hearts, inquisitive natures, desire for something more3. health - we've been pretty good so far but we're in the home stretchPraise: 1. we have the most campers yet this week.2. the Word of a living God being spread3. Pizza Inn.... saving us from camp food every now and then ahhaAgain, thank you so much for all your support. I would not be growing in these ways without you and neither would these kids. Praise God. Sorry if any of the blog is a "repeat"…since I can't get to it I have a hard time remembering what I've already written.love love love jen<><

No comments:

Post a Comment